Positive work relationships with colleagues are important for developing a successful career. In order to develop positive work relationship, you need to make some effort in order to know your colleagues and respect them and also communicate with them openly.
It is good for the organization as well as it is said that when employees have a good relationship amongst themselves, the productivity of the firm is more.
Here are some tips for developing positive work relationship with colleagues
In order to develop a positive relationship with your colleagues, it is important that you listen to what they have to say. The same goes for your colleagues as well and this would ensure that you are on the same page with your co-workers.
You and your colleagues should be able to communicate freely about anything that is related to work. This is important for team building. If you are a supervisor or manager, it is your duty to encourage your team members to express their ideas and feel comfortable about the same.
Respect is the key and in order to build positive relationships, having mutual respect is a necessity. Respect your co-workers along with their thoughts and ideas. Deal with professionally and never let emotions control your behavior.
Work for the team
This might need you to compromise in some cases and do it if that improve better results for the team as a whole. Do not work for yourself, work for the team!
Build personal relationships
Getting to know your colleagues on a personal level can build the performance of your team. Have lunch together and talk about common interests.
Some additional tips that might be helpful are:
• Be friendly and professional
• Be responsible as in when you say that you would do something, make sure that do it. If you are unable to do the task due to some problem, be responsible enough to let your team know that well in advance
• Be considerate when you share room with your colleague/s. You might like to listen to music while working and your office mate might prefer silence. Use headphones!
• It is always not possible to be friends with everyone. However, the least you can do is be professional, cordial and respectful.
• Avoid office gossips as this would take nowhere. You might end up losing a probable friend in the process.